Speakers and Film: “Manufacturing Guilt”
Save the Date!
7 pm, Friday 05 December 2014
at the La Pena Cultural Center, 3105 Shattuck Ave, Berkeley
(just below Ashby Avenue)
Everyone, from black and Latino youth, anti-war activists, labor militants and rap artists can be in their cross-hairs. Join the the Labor Action To Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Prison Radio and Teachers For Mumia to hear how police are targeting political enemies with attempts to restrict free speech.
• “Manufacturing Guilt” will be shown — the riveting documentary of the frame-up of Mumia Abu-Jamal.
• Keith Cook, brother of Mumia Abu-Jamal, and
• Cephus “Uncle Bobby” Johnson, uncle of Oscar Grant,
and others will discuss:
• New “gag” law in Pennsylvania that seeks to silence prisoners. This law, cobbled together in days following Mumia’s recorded presentation to a commencement ceremony at Goddard College, is designed to “shut him up.” The targets of this blatantly unconstitutional law, however, include all prisoners convicted of violent crimes!
• The suppression of the “Urban Dreams” web site by the Oakland School Board. This teacher-created site included one voluntary curriculum comparing the suppression of Mumia’s commentaries with censorship of Martin Luther King’s later writings.
Both of these measures were taken at the behest of the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), a highly politicized organization which seeks to silence social critics such as Mumia Abu-Jamal, and dictate the curricula in schools!
While restoration of the Urban Dreams site has now been announced by the Oakland School Board, we must remain vigilant. The FOP and Democrat/Republican politicians continue their attempts at intimidation and suppression.
Everyone is threatened by militarized police who shoot first and ask questions later, and have an enemies list. Chief targets of political police have included Martin Luther King, Black Panthers, and working-class activists. Right now, it’s innocent political prisoner Mumia Abu-Jamal that they seek to silence. But anyone and everyone, from black and Latino youth, anti-war activists, labor militants and rap artists are in their cross-hairs.
Cops vs Free Speech
How police are threatening the right
of free speech of convicts, dissidents,
and All of Us!
Speakers: Keith Cook (Mumia’s brother),
Cephus “Uncle Bobby” Johnson,
Mumia’s recorded comments,
and other Speakers.
Film showing: “Manufacturing Guilt,”
an expose of the frame-up of Mumia Abu-Jamal
7 pm Friday Dec. 5th 2014
La Pena Cultural Center
3105 Shattuck Av. Berkeley CA
$5 – $!0 sliding scale
All donations benefit the
defense suit against the PA Gag Law
– The Labor Action Committee To Free Mumia Abu-Jamal
PO Box 16222 • Oakland CA • 510.763.2347